Index > Online poker
|The FAQ is a volunteer effort. Join us by submitting updates,
or let us help you learn about online poker. Details.
What are some advantages of online poker over cardroom
Author: Jim Geary
Last updated: May 1999
Copyright © 2004 Jim Geary
The official and up-to-date version of this answer is here
What are some of the advantages of playing poker online?
- You don't have to drive to a casino.
- You can play in your underwear.
- You can smoke at will/breathe clean air at will.
- You don't "have to" tip the dealer.
- You can sing along to your headphones without disturbing
- Internet poker often lends itself to many players who have
never been inside a casino and thus may not be that sophisticated
in their play.
What are some of the disadvantages of playing poker online?
- Your opponents may easily share information about their hands
on a communication channel to which you are not privy.
- Your opponents may play their hands in a collusive fashion via
a communication channel to which you are not privy.
- Your opponents may actually be the same person.
- There is no way for you to know for sure that the above are
- There is no way for an online poker operator to prevent these
If you don't care about your money, the advantages outweigh the
disadvantages. If you do try to win money, you may have difficulty
doing so. This is not to say that it is impossible. The games may
be incredibly weak. The games that you land in may be completely
straight. You may be an incredible player. However, proceed with
Copyright © 2004 Jim Geary.
Unauthorized copying prohibited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
permission to redistribute.